The PPS43 (Pistolet-Pulemet Sudaeva, model of 1943 = Sudaev submachine gun) was born as an answer for the need of a weapon that would be more compact and mobile than the PPSh-41, which was in use then by the Soviet Army. The PPSh-41 was somewhat too long to be used by tank crews, mobile recon groups and paratroopers. In late 1941, the Red Army issued a request for a new, more compact SMG. Designer Sudaev initially designed his new SMG in 1942 and it was adopted under the designation of PPS42. Next year he refined the design and this final model was designated as PPS43. This SMG was manufactured in significant numbers, with nearly 2 million PPS43 weapons manufactured between 1943 and 1946. The PPS43 is sometimes referred to as the best SMG of World War II. After WWII, it was widely exported to pro-Soviet regimes around the world and widely copied.
Pioneer Arms has redesigned this historical firearm to shoot from a closed bolt position. The safety is located at the front of the trigger guard. The receiver and barrel shroud are made from stamped steel. The rear sight is an L-shaped flip type and is marked for 100 and 200 meters distance. The front sight is a fixed blade. The barrel is equipped with a simple muzzle brake. This firearm is an ATF approved pistol. The stock has no function and is permanently fixed in its folded closed position.
This pistol is manufactured at the famed Radom Plant in Poland by Pioneer Arms. All parts and components are Polish made. The PPS43-C pistol comes with a curved box magazine which holds up to 35 rounds.